[Novalug] Update kernel package

Scott Talbert swt@techie.net
Tue Mar 18 16:40:28 EDT 2014

On Tue, 18 Mar 2014, Tony Jones wrote:

> My question for this list is has anyone done this successfully - that is
> downloading and installing the individual kernel rpm and it's dependencies?.
> I know to install a new kernel you would use the rpm -ivh command instead of
> rpm -Uvh  upgrading to the latest one.  I can see doing this as being a
> disaster.  I may just copy all of the updates for Red Hat version 6.2 from
> the Red Hat Network to my server and then burn/copy all of the
> x86_64 rpm's to a DVD, create a repository, mount the DVD and perform a yum
> update to automatically install the kernel and the dependencies.  Would this
> be a good way to do this for updating Red Hat servers that aren't connected
> to the Internet?  Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Kernel packages generally do not have any dependencies.  You should be
able to do exactly what you are trying to do, just install the latest
kernel RPM, but definitely use "rpm -i" so that you keep the old kernel
around in case you want to go back to it.

You might also want to upgrade the kernel-headers package.