[Novalug] Update kernel package

Tony Jones tjones12305@gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 16:30:44 EDT 2014

List,

I want to update my kernel package on a computer that is not connected to
the Internet and have downloaded the latest kernel rpm package from the Red
Hat Network that I have a subscription to.  I'm running Red Hat  version
6.2. I'm hesitant about doing this, because I'm afraid of the dependencies
that are required to install the kernel package.  I did a "rpm -q
--whatprovides kernel" from the command line and got the following list:

libdrm-2.4.25-2.el6.x86_64
pulseaudio-0.9.21-13.el6.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-intel-2.16.0-1.el6.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.14.2-7.el6.x86_64
fuse-2.8.3-4.el6.x86_64
systemtap-runtime-1.6-4.el6.x86_64
pcmciautils-015-4.2.el6.x86_64
autofs-5.0.5-39.el6.x86_64

So, I would also need to download these rpm's as well to be able to
successfully install the latest kernel.

My question for this list is has anyone done this successfully - that is
downloading and installing the individual kernel rpm and it's
dependencies?. I know to install a new kernel you would use the rpm -ivh
command instead of rpm -Uvh  upgrading to the latest one.  I can see doing
this as being a disaster.  I may just copy all of the updates for Red Hat
version 6.2 from the Red Hat Network to my server and then burn/copy all of
the x86_64 rpm's to a DVD, create a repository, mount the DVD and perform a
yum update to automatically install the kernel and the dependencies.  Would
this be a good way to do this for updating Red Hat servers that aren't
connected to the Internet?  Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony