[Novalug] Looking for a cheap machine

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Mon Mar 10 00:07:48 EDT 2014

On Sun, 9 Mar 2014, Roy Wilson wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 10:05 PM, Dave Paper <novalug@ginch.org> wrote:
>
>>> I've got a pair of 20 gallon totes full of 100 DVD spindles of cold
>> stored video.  So if I ever get a petabyte drive, I might be able to keep
>> it all hot at once...  :)
>>
>> You are going to get to experience first hand just how long the data on
>> those discs last.  Probably not as long as you hope it will.
>>

>  That's actually one of the reasons for the external drives.  Backing up
> that older DVD archive.  I've already had the "unrecoverable error"
> experience with old CD's.
At least copy the old cd's to DVD's. According to the National Archive
website DVD's are somewhat more durable. The data surface is sandwiched
between two sheets of acrylic. That is not the case with CD's.

In addition there have been changes in the sorts of dyes used in user
writable CD's over the years so some old ones will not read on newer CD
drives. I have a few of those left over from 15 years ago.

>  At the moment, 2 of the 3tb drives are archival, the other is current.
> Eventually I'll get more big externals, archive from DVD to them and then
> power them down for shelf storage.

                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:PO box 9767 Baldwin, MD, USA 21013  |  EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
shipping address:5100 Hydes Rd 21082 (Hydes Post Office closed Jan 2012)
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com