[Novalug] Looking for a cheap machine

Roy Wilson roywilson1963@gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 18:08:37 EDT 2014

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 10:05 PM, Dave Paper <novalug@ginch.org> wrote:

> > I've got a pair of 20 gallon totes full of 100 DVD spindles of cold
> stored video.  So if I ever get a petabyte drive, I might be able to keep
> it all hot at once...  :)
>
> You are going to get to experience first hand just how long the data on
> those discs last.  Probably not as long as you hope it will.

  That's actually one of the reasons for the external drives.  Backing up
that older DVD archive.  I've already had the "unrecoverable error"
experience with old CD's.

  At the moment, 2 of the 3tb drives are archival, the other is current.
 Eventually I'll get more big externals, archive from DVD to them and then
power them down for shelf storage.