[Novalug] RHEL (CentOS) 6.5 issue w/ iptables?

Chuck Moss cmnl@mossc.com
Mon Mar 3 11:38:02 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 04:40:55PM -0500, greg pryzby wrote:
>    I don't recall this in 6.4, but I know it is happening in 6.5 CentOS
>    chkconfig iptables --list*
>    show iptables is OFF for all levels
>    reboot
>    iptables is running!
>    I can't figure out who / what is starting it. I am digging but if anyone
>    has seen this and can explain why it is happening.... please do
>    --

Greg,

What role is this server performing?  If it is a Virtual machine server I
would check if the libvirt* scripts might be turning on iptables to deal
with MASQUERADE.  I don't have any hardware 6.x boxes that are not in service at the
moment to test with but I can try a VM later today.

I would be curious what rules are in place when iptables is started, that
might give some indication if something else felt it needed iptables to
run.

Any chance you have kvm/drac console access?  If so you could start in
single user and manual run /etc/rc?.d/S* scripts.

Chuck