[Novalug] /tmp partition on Fedora

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Thu Jun 12 01:52:46 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 09:22:47PM -0400, Jay Hart wrote:
> I've always had a separate /tmp partition, but if I understand the latest documentation on Fedora
> 20, its no longer necessary.  Is this correct? Are there any pros/cons going with a /tmp
> partition?

Supposedly better performance.
/tmp cleared on reboot
  pro if you like to start clean,
  con if you expect files in /tmp to remain after reboot
Default size is 1/2 memory.
  may be limiting if you have 2GB of memory (1GB tmpfs)
  not too bad if you have 32GB of memory
  if your apps use most of your memory AND use /tmp,
  may cause greater swapping
Other tmpfs partitions (eg. /run, /dev/shm) are sharing
that same 1/2 of memory

jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)