[Novalug] OT: /dev/null email equivalent?

-- Roger RogerB@bronord.com
Tue Jun 10 12:38:36 EDT 2014

I'll have to think on that one since I use Thunderbird. Not sure how incoming T'bird is handled. And, not sure that I can access /etc on my hosting service but it's a good thought. Or, I might be able to fiddle with procmail.com.

Thanks for the ideas.

On Jun 10, 2014, Richard Rognlie <rrognlie@gamerz.net> wrote:
>as I mentioned... it's an alias.
>
>in sendmail (and some other MTAs) check /etc/mail/aliases
>
># grep nobody /etc/mail/aliases
>nobody: /dev/null
>
>If not present, add it then run "newaliases"
>

>On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 11:47:45AM -0400, -- Roger wrote:
>> Nobody@bronord.com doesn't work. Just get a delivery failure message.
>>
>> I have used nobody@ a nonexistent domain as a return address to hide
>myself.
>>
>> On Jun 10, 2014, Richard Rognlie <rrognlie@gamerz.net> wrote:
>>
>> Most sendmail systems include an alias for "nobody" which goes to
>/dev/null
>>
>> e.g. nobody@example.com
>>
>> I can't speak for other MTAs.
>>
>> Richard
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 10:35:13AM -0400, Roger W. Broseus wrote:
>>
>> /dev/null is a well known cyber-black-hole
>>
>> Is there one for email? I'd like one to use in place of the
>> ubiquitous "undisclosed-recipients" . . . maybe something like
>>
>> The Usual Suspects <blackhole@somewhere.com>
>>
>> I guess I could setup on on my email server and dump any replies
>> automagically but it would be nice to have something more "elegant"
>> and less kludgey.
>>
>> --
>> Roger Broseus
>> RogerB@bronord.com