[Novalug] Console CLI 'hanging'

Dave Winn winndm@gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 15:19:25 EDT 2014

Greetings all,
I'm befuddled by a situation.  I've got a set of RHEL 6.3 servers out in
the field that are occasionally 'sluggish' or 'nonresponsive' in ssh
sessions.  I also get disconnected on more rare occasions.  Also occurs
with WinSCP.

I'd be typing along and the cli would stop responding, then after a few
seconds it would come back.  I didn't believe this was a network issue so I
sent someone to the console and they are seeing the same behaviour when
sitting in front of the boxes.

I had a look at top, and the load on the boxes is negligible.  Output from
one is linked below.
We run one process that handles 'everything' this particular box is
designed to do, and things look "ok".
http://imgur.com/fz8zdVi

It's most concerning to me that this issue isn't limited to box A, it also
happens on 3 or 4 other boxes (with different roles and applications
installed, but the same KS most likely).

I didn't set these up, I'm not sure how they were kickstarted, etc.  Just
trying to get a feel for what to do next.

Any tips on where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks!
Dave

--
Dave Winn