[Novalug] thunderbird and ldap

Peter Larsen peter@peterlarsen.org
Thu Jul 10 00:58:52 EDT 2014

On 07/08/2014 10:10 PM, James Ewing Cottrell III wrote:
> As for your use-case, sending mail to a local user.

Again, not handled by Thunderbird? Entering into to:/cc: most MUAs will
try to auto-complete. I agree. But not from the local user list? Just
because there's a username there doesn't mean there is a valid inbox?
All of that is configured in the MTA and files like /etc/aliases - again
way outside the scope of Thunderbird. Just for the fun of it I just
tried to type an internal username in my Thunderbird's cc: line - and it
does not recognize or even attempt to auto-complete it. But it will
consult any of the address books I've defined for that purpose - files
that Thunderbird 100% control or has been given access to (like LDAP).

Thunderbird has nothing to do with the actual delivery of email. It
depends on an agent (MTA) to do so. And I cannot see how looking at
/etc/passwd makes any sense from a "helpful auto complete" feature's
perspective since there are so many other parts that define what a user
is on the mail server? So why stop there? Why not try to understand
sendmail and postfix configurations to understand what files to consult
to do a full auto-completion? And where to stop then? Why not just the
full delivery instead of using a MTA? In both cases you'll run into
security context issues but ignoring that for now, it doesn't seem to
make logical sense to me at all.

--
Regards
  Peter Larsen