[Novalug] Clamav and Thunderbird?

Roger W. Broseus rogerb@bronord.com
Sun Jul 6 21:42:13 EDT 2014

I finally got around to installing clamav on my Xubuntu machine. While I can
scan my system, how does one get it to work with Thunderbird? I've done a
great deal of searching, mostly to no avail. E.g., there used to be a clamav
plugin/addon for T-bird, but it's dead.

One suggestion is to install p3scan,

    http://tinyurl.com/ndjqabc
    http://tinyurl.com/mzfgtxe

As I understand it, p3scan sets up/is a proxy agent (now I'm on thinning ice)
that intercepts incoming email before it gets to an email client, e.g.,
Thunderbird. Somehow, filtering / processing (clamav scanning?) takes place
before the email client sees the incoming email. p3scan is available for
installation in the Ubuntu "software center."

This is all pretty much gobbledygook to me. How does one configure things to
do this? IP tables are involved: Ugh! I've got a lot to learn.

In the first ref (URL above), under PI-Tables / Port redirecting, instructions
are given for adding rules. Stumped!

Later, under SSL Message parsing, they say limited check of SSL messages is
done and to turn it off. But, isn't that bad - to have an unsecured
connection? Isn't turning SSL off trading Internet security for virus
scanning, a seemingly poor swap to me?

Roger W. Broseus - Linux User
     Email:RogerB@bronord.com
     Web Site:www.bronord.com