[Novalug] Liberating iTunes

Mark Smith mark@winksmith.com
Sat Jul 5 20:15:02 EDT 2014

thanks, but no thanks.  i'm just not happy with iTunes any more.
it's cumbersome, painful, and buggy.  and there are alternatives that
are not encumbered by these points.

i have in mind, that i'll just have a big disk of music and videos
available via NFS by all the systems in my house.  any program will
work with this layout.  i like clementine personally, but wife may like
something else, and daughter something else.  heck, i often just open
a terminal, search for what i want and just open the file in my mind.
iTunes just doesn't work that way.

in any case, most of my systems are linux and not having iTunes available
on linux is a big stumbling block for me.

my mac mini has been in faithful service for many years, but this system
is due for a well earned retirement.  i really don't see myself buying
another mac or windows platform as a replacement.

on the flip side, i am considering purchasing a tricked out machine and
virtualizing anything i really can't have on linux.  i do find myself
wondering if i can virtualize Lion (OSX) on it sometimes though.

--
Hei konā mai
Mark Smith