[Novalug] how to configure alpine to use two different e-mail sources

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Thu Jan 30 17:52:49 EST 2014

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014, Beartooth wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jan 2014, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
>
>> i would like to use alpine for two different e-mail inbox addresses:
>> (bdalzell@qis.net and borzoi@qis.net)
>> does any one know how to do this.
>
> 	It's easy, even trivial, IF (big if) one of them runs on a remote
> machine. I do it all day, every day.

both run as different accounts on the remote machine

what i need to know how to do is how to have two different alpine
terminals one for bdalzell and one for borzoi without having to had
reconfigure alpien each time i want to open each different account.

i suppose I could create two different users locally - bdalzell and borzoi
and then switch between users to access the different e-mail accounts.

> 	I *think* you could do it on a single machine just by having bdalzell
> and borzoi each possess its own account as a user on qis.net; then let each
> open Alpine, on different terminals or different tabs of one terminal.

i have been using terminus so i did not know about the multiple
profiles. i will study gnome-terminal. thanks.

i know if i can figure out how to telnet or ssh to qis.net (which used
to be alloweddpwe

> 	that i can run pine or alpine there from the account.

I have forgotten how to do the telnet/ssh log in to qis net however.

may have to call them tomorrow.

> (mate-terminal, I think) will support multiple profiles -- so you can
> color-code them.
>
> 	I know at a glance that if I see black text on light tan background,
> I'm on the remote (which I strongly prefer); but if I see deep purple text on
> a light yellowish green background, I'm on the local one.
>
> 	Finally, if you point your newsreader (I use Pan) to news.gmane.org,
> port 119, look to gmane.mail.alpine.info (or just search alpine), where you
> can follow the Alpine discussion list in comfort.

                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:PO box 9767 Baldwin, MD, USA 21013  |  EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
shipping address:5100 Hydes Rd 21082 (Hydes Post Office closed Jan 2012)
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com