[Novalug] NoMoRobo - I'm in doghouse

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Mon Jan 27 23:11:35 EST 2014

I looked into nomorobo.com last evening and started
the sign-up procedure.  Our phones are Verizon FiOS
Digital, one of the systems that is compatible with
nomorobo.

First step is give them an email addrs and get
additional instructions.  I added an alias to my mail
system and gave that address to them.

The next step was to login to my Verizon account and
turn on "Simultaneous Ringing" using a phone number
provided by nomorobo.  This allows nomorobo to intercept
calls on the first ring and decide if the call should
be blocked.  After making the change at Verizon I thought
"even though I know she hates robo calls, I Better run
this past my wife".  So I aborted the setup by closing
out the browser.

Turns out my wife didn't like the idea of every one of
out calls going to a third party.  So I didn't take any
further action, forgetting about the "simultaneous
ringing" I set up at Verizon.

Tonight several calls came in with only the single ring.
Nomorobo was intercepting the calls, so maybe they were
robo calls they weren't forwarding.  But they came close
together and I guessed who it was, my brother-in-law.
When we called him it turns out dialing our number
connected him to "Clear Choice Dental Implants".

I quickly turned off Simultaneous Ringing at Verizon and
things are back to normal, but if you hear of any domestic
violence in Reston tonight, you'll know the reason.

Ducking for cover,
Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)