[Novalug] OT: Blocking Robo Calls

Roger W. Broseus rogerb@bronord.com
Sun Jan 26 16:35:15 EST 2014

You've gotten them and so have I: solicitations over the phone. I get them
even though I'm on the FTC's do-not-call list:

  * Calls from /Rachel of Cardholder Services
    <http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2013/11/final-six-defendants-rachel-robocall-scheme-settle-ftc-charges>/
    offering to lower credit card interest rates. (I hate /Rachel/.)
      o Rachel is now dead - click the link, above, to read about this scam
        being taken down.
  * Offers to seniors for various maladies.
  * Storm windows that will save piles of money.
  * Not to mention, Heather, etc. (I think that Heather also contracted a
    terminal illness.)

The do not call list is not working very well because promoters have found
ways around it, using software robots to dial numbers while hiding behind ever
changing telephone numbers. The FTC ran a contest, offering $50k for a
solution to the problem. There were two winners, on of which was NoMoRobo
<http://www.nomorobo.com/>, announced here
<http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2013/04/ftc-announces-robocall-challenge-winners>.
So, it is legit.

I've tired NoMoRobo <http://www.nomorobo.com/> at home for a couple of weeks
and it seems to be working well. Setup and info is here
<http://www.nomorobo.com/dashboard>. After setup, when calls come in, one
waits for the second ring to answer. If the call disappears after one ring,
that indicates that a robo call was thwarted. Only one call got past NoMoRobo
<http://www.nomorobo.com/>; such calls can be reported at NoMoRobo Dashboard
<http://www.nomorobo.com/dashboard> and the reporting process is much easier
than that used at ftc.gov <http://www.ftc.gov>.

-- Roger