[Novalug] Recommended distro for Windows XP users?

Charles R. Head CharlesRHead@Netscape.Net
Tue Jan 21 17:21:24 EST 2014

*Tom,*

I'd say go with MATE.  KDE might look too complex/busy and XFCE (I think
that's what you meant) is too stark.  Cinnamon is good too, but may look
too dark unless you switch the theme from the default.

BTW, I heard a day or so ago that Ubuntu is adding (may have added) MATE
to their repositories.  However, for simplicity, it comes as a default
with Linux Mint.

*Charlie*

On 01/21/2014 04:56 PM, Tom Gutnick wrote:
> Greg/Charlie --
> This all makes sense to me. I've been using Ubuntu for a few years, although
> found that their newer desktop (Unity?) looks less like Windows than what
> they had a few years ago. I just looked at the Mint web site, and see that I
> need to pick one of four desktops (Cinnamon, MATE, Kfce, and KDE).  For my
> users, they'll be happier if I give them (i.e., install) a single
> recommendation, rather than making them choose. Which of those four will
> seem the most familiar to them? (I don't mind experimenting if I have to,
> but some good recommendations might save me several hours of work.)
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

---