[Novalug] Time

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Sun Jan 19 13:19:44 EST 2014

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 10:17:54AM -0500, Roy Wilson wrote:
>   Ok, I'm back to running Knoppix - handling of large (1gb) files between a
> pile of external USB drives is much faster than under kubuntu.
>
>   But...  how do I get the time to stick?  I've googled, tried just about
> everything, but every time I reboot the machine comes back on GMT instead
> of the -5 offset for New York.

I tried this on Fedora.  Whether it works on Knoppix I don't know.

The file /etc/localtime seems to be the one applications consult
to determine the TZ.  If you have it make a copy.  If not, stop reading.

/etc/localtime is a "zoneinfo" file.  Others are under
/usr/share/zoneinfo.  On my system /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern is
identical to /etc/localzone.

Copy whichever /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/??? file is appropriate for you
to /etc/localtime.

I did not check it across a reboot.

jl
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)