[Novalug] avatar-maker?

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Sat Jan 18 13:20:23 EST 2014

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014, Beartooth wrote:

> 	I have an image (actually an expendable copy of an image)
> which I want to shrink into an avatar for a web forum.
>
> 	I don't use the gimp often enough to remember anything
> about it, and I'm entirely unfamiliar with other image
> manipulation apps.

to use gimp to shrink image

The basic commands are in the menu strip along the top.
The command after the > is an item in the menu once it has dropped down
to open the choices.

File>Open>[select image from its folder]

as a safety to avoid writing over the original file - immediately do a

File>Save As>originalImageName-avatar-jpg

(you can also save use the .png extension for most web stuff
  Image>Scale Image

This brings up a little window where you can change the size of the
image. the default is by pixels. There is a little picture of a linked
chain next to the entry areas for both width/height and x/yresolutions.

You can type in the new dimensions or use the up down arrows.
If the "links" are left unchanged all you have to do is change one
dimension and the other scales automatically.

Find out what is preferred pixel dimensions for the avatars at the site
and change width , height will scale.

Leave all other settings alone. Once you have
  the desired width selected choose the "scale" button in the bottom right.

If you want to see how the scaled image looks

View>Zoom>Zoom In

Zoom does not influence the save size in pixels, incidentally.

After scaling is completed save the file under its new name.

 	Is there an app (or a command) that just makes avatars?

                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:PO box 9767 Baldwin, MD, USA 21013  |  EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
shipping address:5100 Hydes Rd 21082 (Hydes Post Office closed Jan 2012)
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com