[Novalug] Neat Receipt Scanner [?solved?]

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Thu Jan 16 15:06:16 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 04:49:51PM -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> A Christmas gift I received was a Neat Receipts 'Mobile'
> scanner.  I can get it working with the provided software
> on a Windows 7 laptop.
>
> Has anyone gotten this device working with either linux
> (Fedora 19) or a Virtual Box instance of Windows XP?
>
> Jon

Well this is a weird one.  When I posted the above,
the virtual WinXP with Neat software seemed to want to
work.  I.e. it sometimes saw the scanner but never saw
the paper I inserted.  The little green light just blinked.

I googled for Neat and blinking light.  One discussion I
encountered said that front USB ports sometimes behave
differently than rear USB ports.  The responder suggested
the poster move his connection to the rear.

Not expecting any difference, I felt it couldn't hurt to
try.  Sure enough, using a rear USB port rather than the
front panel USB caused it to start working in the virtual
WinXP.

Foolish me, I thought a USB port was a USB port :(

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)