[Novalug] Reading an old laptop IDE drive

Stephan Greene ks1g04@gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 23:29:59 EST 2014

(and of course I discovered I needed this AFTER today's meeting).

Does anyone (preferably in NoVA) have anything I can borrow that will power
& read an old laptop (2.5") IDE drive ("Slimline" (9.5mm) interface)? I
have a 20GB laptop drive (2008) with home videos I am trying to retrieve.
The only hardware I have that fits it is a no-name USB-laptop IDE drive
enclosure that is not working correctly.

Hoping it is a failure in the USB electronics in the enclosure.  I am
assuming it isn't a power issue - tried two different USB cables with
second power connector (dual A to Mini B), and hoping it isn't a dead drive
(no obvious reason other than non-use). The enclosure/drive fails on
multiple Linux boxes/distros and 2 Windows 7 systems.  I think that rules
out a bad OS driver on nay one system and likely eliminates an underpowered
USB jack.  I don't have an outboard power supply to try powering the
enclosure separate from USB and I have no other hardware with slimline IDE
connectors.

Thought I would check the list before trying Microcenter or a couple of
shops in Herndon or the Chantilly area.

Thanks in advance.

Steve