[Novalug] RPi usage

Stephan Greene ks1g04@gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 21:11:33 EST 2014

Should work for not too demanding tasks as long as you are patient and can
live within the limitations.  Helps if you already have a USB keyboard,
mouse, (or PS/2 + adapter), monitor that accepts HDMI input (HDMI-DVI
adapters are not too expensive), maybe a powered USB hub.  Or use the
display & keyboard to set it up, then run headless and remote in using SSH
(command line) or VNC (remote desktop).  If you need to start buying
additional stuff, however, (particularly the monitor) for dedicated use, a
used/reconditioned laptop is going to outperform a RPi for about the same
price and will give you a more flexible system.

I think the RPi is good for basic getting started stuff, or for
dedicated/embedded applications.  I'm using one as a home print server
(much easier to deal with vs. my collection of plug computers), and looking
at using a second for remoting a USB RF receiver dongle for a ham radio
app.  The RPi seems to have just enough processing oomph to be a tcp ip
server for the cheap RTL-based DVBTV receivers; I haven't found similar
software yet to use a more capable receiver I have (works fine with more
powerful Linux or Win7 depending on the software I'm trying) and doubt it
could run a full SDR suite.  Keep in mind it wasn't that long ago that a
700MHz CPU with 512MB ram and several GBytes o storage would have been
considered a respectable system.