[Novalug] Fwd: Save Net Neutrality

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Fri Feb 7 22:51:24 EST 2014

On Fri, 7 Feb 2014, Stuart Gathman wrote:

> On 02/05/2014 08:20 AM, James Ewing Cottrell III wrote:
>> QoS is Orthogonal to Net Neutrality. Actually, File Transfer should have
>> the Lowest Priority, with the possible exception of a Speed Test, which
>> could be the Highest Priority, because the traffic is Rare.
>>
>> That said, I'd like to see ICMP, Routing, and VOIP and possibly Video
>> Conferencing be come next, along with User Input. Then Web Traffic that
>> is Text, other stuff, non realtime Web Graphics, and Mail and regular
>> File Transfer last. I'm sure this list needs some tweaks, but Service
>> based on the Class of the Packets makes sense.
> That is exactly what you DON'T want.  The whole point of QoS is that
> each endpoint selects packet priority, e.g. a consumer VOIP and/or
> streaming aware router.   Your list might be a good one for a consumer
> router, but a geek might have an entirely different list (see linux
> traffic shaping tools), and in fact I do.
>
>> What I DON'T want to see is Priority based on Which Site I go to, so
>> that if, say Disney makes a deal with Comcast, Disney traffic is
>> prioritized over, say traffic to RedHat.
> It is perfectly legitimate for Comcast to offer higher priority for
> increased payola.  Are you saying my ISP is wrong to offer "Premier",
> "Preferred", and "Premium" service levels at corresponding price
> increases to me (I opted for Preferred)?  Are you saying it is wrong for
> Disney to buy Premium when Redhat only buys Preferred?  (Hypothetical
> example)

Does it depend on who is paying the isp for the traffic.

If I pay the ISP to transmit stuff to me - should the ISP push some stuff
at higher priority than other stuff? I thought I was paying for the
service, not the sources.

I have DISH network and I pay to use their video system. I do not expect
to get the weather channel coming in at a lower band width than any other
channel I am subscribing to.

Of course if I want some special movie I pay the ISP extra for that one.

Perhaps I misunderstand the nature of my relationship to these
pipelines.