[Novalug] Fwd: Save Net Neutrality

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Sun Feb 2 20:35:32 EST 2014

I'm all for net neutrality.
However, it won't stick.

It costs money to send bits in any
technical, social or political environment.
That cost will have to be reflected.
So, high speed delivery or prompt delivery
costs more.

Unfortunately, the costs in the current situation
are convoluted and are likely to remain that way
for another 100 years.  So predictions are difficult.

background: this falls back to the architecture.
The electric grid is one example:   you have delivery
and cost of product.   The telephone system, was broken up
incorrectly by region... and those bast--ds knew it at the time.

The internet is almost the same: you have infrastructure
( delivery ), and product.  There are many ISP's, so you are
really dealing with two levels of delivery and one of product
where product involves both servers and consumers.
The backbone being one level and the ISP's the other.
Note that ISP's serve dual roles.  Comcast and Verizon.

I'd like Baltimore City to not be a monopoly.
Open up the industry to real competition and prices
may be more reasonable.  Relatedly, the FCC is considering
a motion by industry to force all analog lines to retire
and be made VOIP...   It makes sense in a couple
of ways if you're a tech person thinking about it,
but the only benefit is to the phone companies -
not the consumer.

Walt...

[Novalug] Fwd: Save Net Neutrality
Sunday, February 2, 2014 3:05 PM

From:
    "Charles R. Head" <CharlesRHead@Netscape.Net>
To:
    "NoVaLUG" <novalug@calypso.tux.org>

Friends,

I hope this is a legitimate use of the NoVALug list server.  If not, please feel free to chastise me severely (as if you wouldn't anyway).  In any case, this is a fairly easy way to put forth your 2 cents worth regarding saving Net Neutrality.  I already threw mine in.

Charlie Head

----
The government is lawless, not the people.