[Novalug] thumb drive question

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Sun Dec 14 16:35:47 EST 2014

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014, Charlie Howe via Novalug wrote:

> List, especially Bonnie and Nino,
>
> Shouldn't I mount and umount my thumb drive every time I make use of it,
> then am done with it?

depends on how your system is set up. for a data thumb drive you can
have the system set to automount it. generally it will appear on the
desktop or under /media/<thumbdrivename>

it is best to unmount it before physically removing it from a running
system.

to use the one i am sending you with an installation of Ubuntu 12.04

when the system firsts comes one the very first screen will have some
options shown very briefly. one of those options is "boot menu" or
something like that. usually it is the F8 key. if you hit the f8 key in
time that will bring up a pre boot menu and you can then choose USB for
the boot source.

some systems cannot boot from a thumb drive so it may not work for you