[Novalug] very strange; very, very strange

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Tue Dec 2 20:19:09 EST 2014

On Tue, 2 Dec 2014, Beartooth via Novalug wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Dec 2014, Paul W. Frields via Novalug wrote:
>
>> A better way to deal with the wheel (or any) group on RHEL/Fedora/CentOS:
>>
>> $ getent group wheel
>> # Check current content of wheel
>> # usermod -a -G wheel <username>
>> # add username to wheel
>
> 	I *think* the above was meant as shown, with four lines. (Today seems
> to be my day to receive things in lines so long I can't see their ends.)
>
>> Hand editing the files is prone to error, and don't forget there's an
>> /etc/gshadow to deal with too.
>
> 	There is? What is it?? Is it there in xfce4, or in mate?
>
> 	I don't see it on this machine.
in xubuntu (XFCE) if is in /etc but it is a file, not a folder so you
may need to look at the listing of the files that follows the listing of
folders if you use a GUI  directory display such as gnome-commander.

also try doing a
  locate gshadow
to see if it is in your system (provided you have locate installed)

> (Here, I'm running mainly xfce4; but I tend to use bits and pieces of several
> desktops, according to what fits the job I have, like Konqueror for man pages
> and DD-WRT. Is that bad?)

                        Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:PO box 9767 Baldwin, MD, USA 21013  |  EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
shipping address:5100 Hydes Rd 21082 (Hydes Post Office closed Jan 2012)
Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com