[Novalug] What's My Router's FQDN

Charles Richard Head CharlesRHead@Netscape.Net
Tue Dec 2 12:32:34 EST 2014

*Guys,*

As I've said here before, as a learning exercise, I'm trying to set up a
domain using a Zentyal Linux domain controller and at least one Linux
workstation(CentOS 6.6)and one Windows workstation (WinXP).  To set up
the domain controller & domain, I need to set up DNS for the domain via
the domain controller.  As part of the domain controller's DNS server
configuration, I must specify the FQDN of the name server that responds
to DNS queries from the domain controller.  It _will not_ let me enter
the IP address of the name server!  Only a FQDN will do.

My domain is separated from (and connected to) the rest my local private
home network (192.168.xx.xx -  non-domain) by an old Wi-Fi router that
runsDD-WRT.  For lack of a better name and in the spirit of self
aggrandizement, I call my domain "headdom1.home".  The "home" part is a
meaningless add-on that I included because the software wants to see
something in that spot.

My domain controller gets its DNS info from the router that separates my
domain from and connects it to the rest of my home network.  Since the
"upstream" side of this router is on a private network, as I understand
it, the router has no FQDN.  FWIW, my ISP is Verizon Fios.

Thus I'm in a Catch 22 situation.  I'm required to specify a FQDN and
there isn't one.  Is there a solution to this conundrum, or a way around it?

*Charlie Head*