[Novalug] Possible new computer

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Sun Aug 31 16:57:49 EDT 2014

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014, greg pryzby wrote:

> I am not sure I have any reason for multiple computers. A VM
> allows me to run another OS.

 	I tried that for a while. It turned out to be over my
head in more ways than one. Maybe one of these years ...

> Multiple computers running the same OS for a *most* users is
> overkill.

 	Two of mine are currently unusable; one has gotten noisy;
and two have been declared not worth fixing by my local shop. I
don't speak hardware, so I can't say much more. Of the four
behind my KVM switch, one seems to be choking on CentOS 7 -- and
I run that on Jo's machine in hope it'll be user-friendly enough
if I drop dead one of these days; so I naturally also run it on
one on my desk, to play and experiment with.

 	I did something very stupid to my #1 yesterday; I'm not
sure what. That's 2/4 currently unable (at least by any means I
know) to give me any GUI -- and my CLI-fu is not even vanishingly
likely ever to survive on.

 	As a matter of considered policy, whenever I decide a
machine has gotten too slow for serious use, I clone its data
onto the next new one, and then clone major new stuff on that
back onto the old ones, several times a year. So, in a position
such as the present, I can still get to the Net and howl for
help. (I clone several times a year; I only replace any machine
about every 2 to 5 years -- and donate the old one to someone in
VTLUUG who can find a use for it.)

 	For instance, if I were to take my original install DVD
for Fedora 20, put it into #1, and pretend to be doing an
upgrade, what would happen? Would it do anything? Keep my data?
Keep the innumerable tweaks that make my machines comfortable?

 	How about a similar question wrt #4 and an actual
downgrade from CentOS 7 to 6.5. (I hadn't meant to upgrade yet in
the first place. Maybe I typed "yum upgrade" instead of a "yum
update" ....)

--
Beartooth Bookworm, Curmudgeon On Line
I tell the tale that I heard told.