[Novalug] upgrade problem from Ubuntu 13.04 (with Xfce) to Ubuntu 14.04

Nino Pereira ninorpereira@gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 10:37:46 EDT 2014

Thanks to all who commented.

FYI the problem seems to be that Ubuntu 14.04 doesn't include drivers for
my Radeon HD4xxx series graphics card, and that the upgrade process
seems to delete a perfectly working driver, without checking whether
such a driver might be needed. I am now trying to find the right driver
(there seem to be many possibilities, some of which may be problematic),
to install it, and then to find the next problem ;-).

In the process of getting this far I may have clobbered my (La)TeX installation,
which is maybe 3 Gb. Oh well, at least I didn't panic as much as when
such problems
came up in a previous upgrade, and I could recover enough to do the backup
that I had forgotten to do before the upgrade.

Any recommendations for a favorite driver?
Nino