[Novalug] bash question ( nultiples)

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Thu Aug 14 10:32:35 EDT 2014

I vote for "dd" as a replacement for "awk" !!!
should increase maintenance calls for some of you ...
specially for home users...

( just kidding )

never heard of of bash "declare"..  thx for mention.
( not that I'll use it )

Forgot about "hear".  glad someone mentioned AND
provided link to what it is ...  I know, it's really "here" ..
but the way some of ya'll spell ...  ... ...   <<<grin>>>

Also,  I like the idea of any graphical tool thats useful...
to replace the esoteric bash and other program commands.
=> the rpm specifically.

So, I like the idea mentioned of a gui to display various
rpm packaged file attribute lists, such as dependent files,
or depends on files.  With some extra effort, it could be turned into
a rpm package creation tool, with a lot of self-checks
built-in.  ( I don't recall, is there a "depends on" package list
( which of course would have to be specific for a distro  (ugh ) ))

aside the aside,
I really hate the fact that yum et al require a Internet connection
to find certain data for those installs or checks.  although I
recognize it ( Internet/cloud  ) as a necessity since the data doesn't reside on
a PC...  OTOH, why doesn't a distro have a big file created as part of
the "original" distro that has ALL the packaged distro dependent info ) ?

Those who haven't
used rpm much underrate it's power if all they've used is yum or apt-get.
The only thing rpm was missing was an Internet connection to group
the packages, so yum et al fills the need.   I often need to go to
rpmfind site to find out where the hell "mylibrary.dll.so.4" is in
which rpm package for Redhat/CentOS/distro.   Fortunately,
rpmfind/rpmfusion/other IS  A GUI ( as a web page !!) ... so if
some app is made for the desktop/laptop in native gnome or whatever,
as mentioned, thats be kool.... as I'm getting too old and lazy to
remember all the rpm combo's and options.  And I'm forgetting more
than I remember..   A young dude/dudess has to get older to realize this.

There's more good open Source stuff that can be accomplished...
to make life easier...    assuming job protection isn't on the agenda ..
( hey, I'm a realist...  just not an expert in a ll things *nix..)

PS:  reminder: please snip bulk content thats of no use except
to occupy 1,432 lines of my screen ...