[Novalug] PC Security

jerry w jerrywone@gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 04:16:22 EDT 2014

A TED talk off (also mentioned in the talk, including book named Little
Brother ) Corey ( not historian and not dad EL) Doctorow's website
mentioned some things about making security easy...

Sorry no link handy at the moment...

On Monday, August 11, 2014, Mark Smith via Novalug <novalug@firemountain.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 02:34:52AM -0400, Peter Larsen via Novalug wrote:
> > On 08/09/2014 07:59 PM, Roger Broseus via Novalug wrote:
> > > The topic of security of data on PC's came up today during Simon's
> interesting presentation. As has been said many times, it was asserted that
> if one has physical control puff a PC, they "own it." Even data on luks
> encrypted partitions because security depends on passwords. As Simon
> illustrated, it's relatively easy to change a pword.
> >
> > So I recall the discussion having multiple dimensions. It started by our
> > Do you know the story of the German Enigma machines during WWII where
> > the German Wehrmacht thought itself safe because "nobody could break the
> > codes"? Turned out that it only took some very smart mathematicians to
> > come up with a solution (Turing created a machine/computer (Bombe) to
> > work out how the algorithms worked).
>
> i heard an interesting story about this... the code was really strong and
> would have been unbreakable.  the key to breaking it came when, in their
> pride, they believed it unbreakable and got sloppy.  users were never
> supposed to repeat messages.  turns out at the bottom of each message
> they ended it with same nazi saluation.  heil hitler or whatever it was.
>
> --
> Hei konā mai
> Mark Smith
> mark@winksmith.com <javascript:;>