[Novalug] *shiver* / broker backups

Roger Broseus RogerB@Bronord.com
Thu Aug 7 21:06:15 EDT 2014

Alex,

I was able to recover files from a friend's HD using PhotoRec. See http://tinyurl.com/kjau7o for info. Don't be fooled by the name: Photorec recovers more than photos.

His drives were 1 TB. I mounted them in an external drive adapter and let the program run over night. A lot of "junk" appeared in output but he was able to determine which files were valuable and save them. Of course I had to have a destination large enough to contain output so I put one his borked drives on a second adapter and reformatted it as one big ext4 partition as a destination.
Photorec outs non-destructive. It does not write to the disk being reached. More:
	http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photorec

/Roger
Roger@Bronord.com

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Alex said:

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 12:29:05 -0500
From: "Alex Smith (K4RNT)" <shadowhunter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Novalug] gparted disclaimer during update
To: RJ Bergeron <rbergero@gmail.com>
Cc: novalug <novalug@calypso.tux.org>

*shiver*

I borked my backups thanks to LVM. I was having trouble with the lvgrow (or
lvresize, I don't remember) command, because I thought that I had to
explicitly specify the number of extents to grow the filesystem, and I
ended up losing my media filesystem, which was using XFS. I ended up losing
the superblock, and right now that disk is in storage, and I'm trying to
decide whether or not I want to try to spend the big bucks to recover my
data.

Screw LVM! I'll stick with ZFS!