[Novalug] Progress report on list cutover

Rich Kulawiec rsk@gsp.org
Fri Aug 8 07:01:00 EDT 2014

The new list has 158 subscribers, with a sharp uptick in the last few days
because I used the subscriber list from the old list to issue invites to
a lot of people.  I suspect that this old list has a *lot* of defunct
addresses on it (based on all the rejects/bounces from the invitations)
so I'm not surprised to see a much smaller number on the new one.

I've had to punch a few holes in the anti-spam configuration for a
few people, but I believe that all of those issues have now been solved.
And as of this morning, I turned off the "moderate all" flag, along with
making a handful of other Mailman configuration tweaks.

That said, either use

	novalug-request@firemountain.net

or visit

to sign up.

And once again: do not, DO NOT, send "test" messages to the list.  One of you
has now done it three times despite being told not to each time and frankly,
I'm about to ban you if you do it again.  It's VERY rude and almost
never necessary.  If you think there is something that requires testing,
then send a message to

	novalug-owner@firemountain.net

and explain why you think that.  I'll decide if some kind of test message
is necessary (it almost certainly isn't) and if so, I'll send it.

Or not. ;)

(If you're just trying to test the SMTP round trip, to make sure you can
reach here and here can reach you, a simple "help" message sent to the
-request address will suffice.  The anti-spam rules for that address are
identical to those for the list itself, because of course they probably
should be.  So if you get a response back, then neither your side nor
this side blocked you, network is reachable, host is up, MTA is running,
Mailman is running, and there's not much else left over to break.)

---rsk