[Novalug] Wireless power transfer achieved at 5-meter distance -- ScienceDaily

Charles Richard Head CharlesRHead@Netscape.Net
Tue Apr 22 13:42:18 EDT 2014

On 04/22/2014 01:05 PM, John Franklin wrote:
> Three meters is a huge distance.  Using the example of the bus with
> the charging stations embedded under the pavement at bus stops, the
> under-pavement power transmitters would broadcast to collectors in the
> undercarriage, probably a meter away.  What is the power efficiency at
> that distance?
I don't know.  Assume it's 90% efficient.  Now go to the gas station,
buy 10 gallons of gas, put 9 in your car and throw away the other
gallon.  Would you really do that?

> Also, given the roughy 30% efficiency of a petrol engine, a 37%
> efficiency may be a win, if the electric motor has high efficiency.
When we're talking about the efficiency of the motor, it's a choice
between riding or walking.  We usually accept that inefficiency because
it is _essential _to get the job done.  The additional inefficiency of
wireless power transfer is _voluntary and unnecessary_ (unless you're
worried about that waterproof smart phone).  Even at my age, I can still
bend over far enough to plug in a charger.