[Novalug] Wireless power transfer achieved at 5-meter distance -- ScienceDaily

Charles R. Head CharlesRHead@Netscape.Net
Mon Apr 21 19:48:38 EDT 2014

*Bonnie,*

You are correct.  The power from a power sat would warm the earth.
However, think about this:

 1. The cross sectional area of the earth is ~~128,000,000 square km.
 2. If a power sat was 100 kmon a side(10,000 square km) and was a
    perfect mirror reflecting all sunlight hitting it to the earth, it
    would increase the amount of sunlight hitting the earth by a factor
    of 1.00078.  The amount of power beamed in can't add more heat than
    that.

That doesn't seem like a lot of additional heat.  I just pulled 100 KM
on a side out of the air because it seemed absurdly huge.  The design
studies I found after a quick look on the web weren't a hundredth of
that size.  However, they would need a bunch of power sats to put a dent
in our power needs.

I suppose even that small amount of extra heat could accumulate to
something to worry about over a long period of time.  Then your argument
about less heat trapping because of less CO2 in the atmosphere should
kick in.

*Charlie Head*

(BTW, generally when I did design studies before retiring, I'd screw up
the arithmetic.  You might want to check my math.)*
*

On 4/21/2014 6:25 PM, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:

> It would seem to me that beaming power  in from satellite collectors - not
> matter how efficient could still increase the overall temperature of the
> earth because in effect it is increasing the surface area that energy
> is being collected over.
>
> 2nd law of thermodynamics
>
> send in power (even if it does not heat the atmosphere when coming
> through the atmosphere). use it to move vehicles.
>
> energy is lost from moving vehicles by friction against air, ground, brake
> linings etc. this energy becomes heat because it moves molecules around.
>
> energy is used to heat up houses in the winter
>
> etc
>
> when I use a ground coupled heat pump to heat my house the heat is still
> extracted from a closed system (the earth) and temporarily
> redistributed to the house. but is electricity generated by a
> solar cell array in orbit is used to heat my house we are adding to the
> total heat the earth absorbs from the sun.
>
> now it could be that the lowered CO2 and methane in the atmosphere that
> could come about from using broadcast power from orbiting solar
> collectors could enable the bi product heat to radiate away from the earth
> and we would be better off than burning petro chemicals but I see a
> potential for an interesting article in Analog or Scientific American
> on this topic.
>                          Bonnie Dalzell, MA
> mail:PO box 9767 Baldwin, MD, USA 21013  |  EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
> shipping address:5100 Hydes Rd 21082 (Hydes Post Office closed Jan 2012)
> Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
> breeder, computer nerd & iconoclast... Borzoi info at www.borzois.com.
> HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS www.boardingatwedge.com

---