[Novalug] Need advice on email/encryption tools

Roger W. Broseus rogerb@bronord.com
Sat Apr 12 15:57:12 EDT 2014

Is it yahoo email?

First, make sure to change your password.

If you think you've been hacked because emails are being sent (apparently) in
your name, it may be that you've not been hacked but that someone is spoofing
your email address on the outgoing side. This seems to happen quite a bit at
Yahoo.

Another solution is to dump Yahoo - my person opinion is that they've had more
than their share of compromises. One can probably transfer address books and
maybe email to gmail.

More: make sure you are using https to access email via the web. Of course,
this is temporarily open to suspicion due to the heartbleed vulnerability but
that should go away quickly with major sites, e.g., Yahoo.

True encryption of email? PGP - pretty good privacy is probably the gold
standard. However, both sender and recipients must be on board with the
encryption software and your grandmother and other family members, not to
mention, most of the population of the earth, will not bother with PGP.

--
Roger W. Broseus - Linux User
     Email: RogerB@bronord.com