[Novalug] The Washington Post: Major bug called 'Heartbleed' exposes Internet data

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Wed Apr 9 17:26:27 EDT 2014

On Wed, 9 Apr 2014, Alex Smith (K4RNT) wrote:

> Patched my Linux and OpenSolaris machines for this. Thanks for the heads
> up. I've heard it already, but good to hear that people are heeding the
> warning. :)

My understanding of this is not profound as internet connectivity
knowledge has been at the edge of my computer learning universe.

So how bad is it? Some sites (ars technica, for example) say very
bad.

will this have a major negative effect on open source software and OS's.

Here is a link to a website that claims it will test a url for
vulnerability to heartbleed.

http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/

some of the articles i have read are claiming that all secure
certificates will have to be re-issued at great expense in some cases and
once the certificates are re-issued the organizations should contact
clients and tell them to redo their passwords.

have not heard anything from my bank.

what a mess.

incidently tux.org comes up with a ambivalent response to the
heartbleed test above. my local e-mail hoster qis.net passes.