[Novalug] No such file or directory

Nino Pereira ninorpereira@gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 22:42:51 EDT 2013

I have a related problem: xpdf doesn't work.

I didn't find a solution on the web, and installing from source gave
troubles
that I forgot.

When I do Jon's magic command ldd (which I didn't know about) I get:

p@s:~$ ldd /usr/bin/xpdf
     not a dynamic executable

But, when I try to execute xpdf this fails, like so:
$ xpdf foo.pdf
xpdf: error while loading shared libraries: libpng14.so.14: cannot open

I did download a file with this name, but no idea if it's the right one
(following http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1659898). It's there:

p@s:~$ ls -tolr /usr/lib64
total 168
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root 170984 Feb 20  2012 libpng14.so.14.4.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root     18 Sep 27 22:36 libpng14.so.14 -> libpng14.so.14.4.0

How would one solve such a problem?  How do you figure where a particular
program calls a library? Can you link it in after compilation, like you
could do
with fortran programs (IIRC: it's been a while).

Nino