[Novalug] Long range wireless communications with the Raspberry Pi

Stuart Gathman stuart@gathman.org
Thu Sep 19 13:50:52 EDT 2013

On 09/19/2013 01:15 PM, The Doctor wrote:
> On 09/19/2013 12:24 PM, Derek LaHousse wrote:
>> Would you happen to know if each of those nodes was doing
>> store-and-forward (with one radio) or relay (with two) to each
>> next point?  I've sometimes idly wondered how much degradation
>> there is in a mesh when a transmitting node drops traffic because
>> it can't listen at the same time.
> If they are a commercial WISP, that implies that they are using
> industrial mesh nodes, which have a minimum of two radios (one for
> clients, a second on a different frequency for backhaul).
The WISP was a win-win-win enterprise.  Before, the only broadband you
could get was satellite, with >1sec latency.  Now the nearby cable
operator is happy - they get a bunch of new customers by proxy without
having to run cable through the mountain (and give generous discount to
the WISP operator).  The WISP operator, a young guy, has a decent
self-employed job that is techie, with always some challenges (involving
how to efficiently extend the network to the next customer).  The
customers are happy - they have broadband internet, can watch videos,
and latency is <300ms !