[Novalug] OT: Fuel expense comparisons

Roy Wilson emperor_wilson@verizon.net
Thu Sep 19 10:05:43 EDT 2013

  Bonnie;

  My company owns a lot of properties, I do these comparisons all the time.  It looks like you are using the "cost per Kw" on your electric bill, which will give you a heavily skewed result.  You need to divide the total amount of the bill by the number of Kw *used* to get a true price.

  Electric bills are loaded with charges, taxes, fees, etc that won't be taken into account by just using the Kw cost.  On some of our properties, when an apartment is untenanted the fees actually exceed the consumption costs.

  Also, switching to a gas furnace with a swap-out model will cut your heating fuel costs roughly in half.  A swap-in LP/NG hot water or forced air furnace sized for a house should run around $700 - well worth switching over, it'll pay for itself in about two months.