[Novalug] how to ssh into a computer

John Holland jholland@vin-dit.org
Thu Oct 31 18:38:34 EDT 2013

You might want to set up dyndns. They have a free* service that gives
you a xyz.dyndns.org domain pointing at your IP address. There are tools
to run on your box that determine your current IP and log into dyndns
and update it. That way you can ssh into xyz.dyndns.org instead of
keeping track of IP address. The router I'm using has it built in, it's
an option on a page in the setup to tell it your domain and
userid/password. If you don't have that, there are perl scripts and
packages for distributions that will automatically keep it up to date.
It's not hard to setup and then it just works (at least it has for me
for a while)

* don't let their web site steer you towards paying,you can do this for free

www.dyndns.org