[Novalug] how to ssh into a computer

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Thu Oct 31 16:59:41 EDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 10:50:57AM -0400, Nino R. Pereira wrote:
> Jon,
>
> babysteps again....
>
> On 'how to find out the relatively stable IP address', you say:
> > I run a script several times a day to notify me if it changes.
> Could you share this script? I assume it finds the IP address from
> inside the Local Area Network, through the router. Then, you compare
> this with the last time, and if it changes you send out an email to
> yourself telling you what the new one is. I can sort of see how you might
> write such a script, but I fear getting tripped up by
> many 'if ... fi' constructions.

Whoops. :)  A few months ago I retired the Solaris computer I was using
for this function.  I never migrated the scripts to my Linux systems.

You got the basic action correct.  When you log into your Actiontec
router the first page shows the WAN IP.  The basic idea is to download
a webpage, get it as text, and extract the desired info.  I use curl
to download, lynx to convert to text, and sed to extract the wan ip.

I use a Netgear router to connect to Verizon FiOS.  I can get to its
status page and extract the wan ip.  I never did get it to work with
the Actiontec router, I can't get past the login screen.

The other way is to visit one of several "What's my ip address"
websites.  I've got a script that visits about four of them and
prints out the consensus IP address.  I did this because sometimes
one might be down or changed their webpage so my sed needs to be
modified.

> > Is your FiOS router an ActionTec MI424?  If so, what revision?
> > (check the label on the back/bottom)  Hopefully the revision
> > is E or F or later.  There were significant problems with earlier
> > revisions.  Plus many enhancements came in with Rev E, like
> > dual-core cpu, more memory, and higher speed wired and wireless
> > ethernet.
> It is an ActionTec MI424, but Rev D. Should I replace it? I believe
> you can do that without cost....

If I could, I would.  Had I started with my Rev F version I probably
would not have gone with the Netgear router.  Gigabit switch, wirless
N protocol, faster and multi core cpu.  More memory too which was
my problem.  The DNS server would get filled.

> > Your FiOS router has two ethernet interfaces.  One faces the
> > internet and gets the WAN IP from Verizon via DHCP.  The other
> > interface points inward and its LAN IP defaults to 192.168.1.1.
> > You can change this if you want.  When configuring your computers
> > this LAN IP is the "gateway" address and it can also be your DNS
> > server address.
> >

> > If you are looking to ssh into your lan from the internet you
> > will have to do some port forwarding in the router.  Use your
> > browser to get to 192.168.1.1 and login.  The default user
> > is "admin" and the default password is either "password",
> > "password1", or the router's serial number (from that label
> > I mentioned earlier).
>
> Here I get stuck. I get into the router allright and see a login screen.
> But, none of the passwords you suggest (password, PASSWORD,
> password1, G44G7 (the router's serial number (I think))) works.
> I tried going in through http first, then http.

That is not the serial number.  On my label it is string along the
bottom of the label; about 12 or 13 chars.

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)