[Novalug] Comparing Clouds; A trivial test.

Clif Flynt CLIF@CFLYNT.COM
Sun Oct 27 00:00:51 EDT 2013

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 04:38:25PM -0600, Maxwell Spangler wrote:
> Out in here Colorado we have an incredible startup and high-tech
> community, with many smart people actively embracing cloud and big data
> technologies.
>
> But while listening to them talk about how they're using these new ways
> of working with computing, I hear surprisingly little on the
> fundamentals involved.

  At a recent talk I listened to a very successful web pusher
explain why his site is on a private server, not a cloud.

  His joke was that the only time he's noticed the cloud is when
it goes down.

  He expanded on that - he's got good techies on his payroll.  They may
not be as good as the ones at Amazon or Rackspace (or they might be
better), but they are 100% devoted to keeping his site up and running.

  That's a biggie.  Dedicated staff and dedicated hardware wins
over sharing someone's attention, bandwidth and CPU cycles.

  One of my clients runs their site on RackSpace.  The client can't
afford a full-time admin, so having part-time attention from the
rack-space crowd is a win.

  That's a win for this client - they're too small to host a private
system with a dedicated admin.

  An friend works for a company with very cyclic needs.  They service
universities, and the load goes crazy during registration, and is near
zero once a term starts.

  Cloud works for them.  They only pay for hundreds of machines when
they need them, and don't pay for the months when they don't need them.

  My takeaway is that the cloud is a great tool if you've got the
problem it solves, but the cloud doesn't solve all hosting issues.

  Clif

--
... Clif Flynt ... http://www.cwflynt.com ... clif@cflynt.com ...
.. Tcl/Tk: A Developer's Guide (3'd edition) - Morgan Kauffman ..