[Novalug] Novalug Digest, Vol 84, Issue 62

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Fri Oct 25 13:27:09 EDT 2013

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013, James Ewing Cottrell III wrote:

> What did Google say when you typed the name in???

 	Well, I mostly use other things (startpage, ixquick. or
duckduckgo), but your point is well taken.

 	When I took a book I was cataloging to the assistant
section head, I had to tell her first which main feature was
which (in Finnish), then what the rules said, and only then what
the problem was.

 	But the big search engines can't yet handle questions of
what's good, or easy, or reliable, afaik.

 	Also, in cataloging I could formulate a query that would
make the computer do the work, and give me either the one
right record if it was already in the library, or zilch if not --
no wild geese nor will-o'-the-wisps to chase. Try doing that with
a search engine.

--
Beartooth Implacable, Curmudgeonly Codger Learning Linux
On the Internet, you can never tell who is a dog --