[Novalug] Helping Charlie have a working computer

Derek LaHousse dlahouss@mtu.edu
Wed Oct 23 12:48:46 EDT 2013

List, Charlie,

I believe it would help everyone if, as Greg suggested, the LUG were to
manage Charlie's computer for him.  At the very least, the ability to
remote in and run diagnostics from someone who knows would save everyone
time.  However, we would need to take care that we don't put a backdoor
on Charlie's system for malicious use.

I would be willing to spend a bit of time with Charlie to get Ubuntu
installed.  I believe it would be useful to set up cmhowe as a user
without sudo access, and create a luguser account (or even individual
manager account) for those who would help.  I don't have a solution for
how to remote into Charlie's box through the expected NAT/PAT at the
gateway.

Should we have a special meeting, say after the next LUG meeting, to
discuss and setup?  Charlie, would you be amenable?

Derek