[Novalug] Perennial question: ISP recommendations? (NW DC-centric, please)

Kevin Cole dc.loco@gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 14:50:35 EDT 2013

Thanks all past and future contributors to the thread. ;-) You've given me
avenues to pursue. Summarizing and augmenting "our story thus far":

As milady really doesn't want an actual physical address to show up in
archives forever and ever, and I'd rather keep the peace, I'm not going to
get too specific about actual location (though I'm sure a decent search
will turn it up somewhere).

​* Indications are that dumping MegaPath is a good idea.

* Based on tower maps, it doesn't look like my place will be line-of-sight
from any Clear / Sprint towers.

* FiOS has map pins under a mile from us but still shows a gap around our
place, according to Verizon's maps. (And I've long read on some of these
lists of the pressure to de-copper once FiOS is in.)

​* Building management wrote back saying that anecdotal data from residents
indicate preferences for Clear (presumably either higher up or, more
likely, on the far side of the building), Verizon and AT&T​, in addition to
MDU Communications, the building's official and, to the best of my
knowledge, only, provider of non-local television stations (via DIRECTV).

* RCN's site lists apartment buildings near us, but not our building.

​* I are not a lawyer. ;-) Nonetheless, having not followed the story
closely, the info regarding FCC's rulings bears further investigation. I'm
going to see if I can find a translator of the legalese. That said, I'll
probably want an internet connection at home in order to find said
translator. ;-) In other words, a stopgap, should arguing with the building
management and/or MDU Communications prove to be overly protracted.