[Novalug] What's yer favorite laptop?

Rich Goodwin rich@the-goodwins.us
Mon Oct 21 14:05:59 EDT 2013

Mine used it for a number of years (3/4) as he only needed simple
browsing. That saved alot in SA work at the time. Now he "needs" windows
for some of the games he plays. Sigh

Rich

On 2013-10-21 14:03, John
Holland wrote:

> So your kids are using Linux? That's pretty
cool....how old are they?

wrote:

>> I currently have three System76 laptops (one for me, two
for my kids). Here are my thoughts:

>> 1. The keyboard on the
Galago Ultrapro is a bit odd, but I adjust after using it for a few
minutes. I found most of my 'non-responsive' issues were solved by
turning off the mousepad and using an external mouse.
>> 2. The
keyboard on the other models (which is generally the same) is awesome.
It's just the one they put on the Galago that's odd.
>> 3. The battery
life and screens have been great.
>> 4. Their support has been top
notch. Every single issue I've had, they've been right there to help me
out.
>> 5. The price point was right. I wanted something thin and light
with a ton of space and maxed out memory, and they delivered for around
a grand. I wanted something sturdy and fast for the kids for under $700,
and they delivered on that, too.

PM, Doug Toppin <dougtoppin@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> By far and away my
15 inch retina MacBook Pro is the best machine I've ever had (I have
both a personal one and a work one). I run both RHEL and MS Windows on
it using VirtualBox and have had no trouble with them. Since almost
everything that I do on Linux is via the shell or browser I do not need
native graphics for the OS. The SSD is excellent and being able to
AirPlay to Apple TV for presentations works very well. The hardware
quality is excellent and the machine is scary fast. When I first
transitioned to OSX getting used the admin related activities took
longer than I expected but everything else was familiar. I am in the
process of ditching my Mac and Linux desktops and expect to use only my
MBP from now on. It is not cheap but I have had nothing bad to say about
it with almost a year of use.

Rich Goodwin <Rich.Goodwin@pinnaclepointtechnologies.com> wrote:

> [...]
Linux use. It has been a while since I last looked around and with UEFI
I am curious what impediments, if any, exist in buying and installing.

Box/...), use HDMI, need USB 3.0 and ideally have Fire Wire (this may be
the bigger challenge).

Links:
------