[Novalug] Vista and its 'unmovable files'

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Sun Oct 13 20:21:56 EDT 2013

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 07:39:17PM -0400, N3XJN wrote:
> After yesterdays meeting I took another look at my Win drive, it's 320G with only 90G used. Windows shrink will not give up more than 65G, checking the drive with a couple defrag programs there are 'unmovable files' scattered through the middle and near the end of the drive.
>
> If I used a clone program like Clonezilla, would that copy all the data and on restore place the problem files at the end of the contiguous data? Hopefully that would allow the drive to shrink enough for a decent sized ext partition for a dual boot? Right?

Sounds like there is only one drive on your system.  Most will
accomodate at least two drives.  How about getting a second
drive?  A 0.5TB - 1TB drive is $50 - $70 today.

jl
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)