[Novalug] Which free RH clone for you?

John Kennedy skebi69@gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 19:18:03 EDT 2013

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Nick Danger <nick@hackermonkey.com> wrote:

> I don't normally follow the politics but remember there was some
> dissatisfaction with CentOS a while ago. I am going to start a new
> replacement project at work (lots of 5.x and a 4.x or two moving to 6.x
> series). RH official for the production Oracle stuff, and then something
> else for everything else.  I've used Scientific Linux once or twice and
> it worked fine. Which would you use for a new project? CentOS or SL?
>
> Nick

The problem people had was the lag between RHEL releases and their CentOS
counterpart. This has happened sometimes when RHEL has a new release and
CentOS does not have the hardware/people to keep up with several branches
at one time.

Between the 2 I would go with CentOS  if you are looking for a more pure
RHEL experience, then go with CentOS.  CentOS is built from RHEL source
with the only modification being replacing RH branding with CentOS
branding.

>From my understanding SL has modified the source to fit in with the
scientific needs/uses.

John

John Kennedy

http://www.shepherdrescue.org
Why would anyone foster a dog/cat?
I would rather cry watching them leave our home to live a life of happiness
and joy in a loving home than cry because no one stepped up to help them
and they died alone, frightened, and sad in a shelter.

"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something."

-Thomas Henry Huxley