[Novalug] Grabbing mini DV from camera

Rich Goodwin rich@the-goodwins.us
Mon Oct 7 20:37:36 EDT 2013

It has been waaaaaay to long since I did anything with Linux and
it's time to get back.

First thing is to grab some video from a
mini-DV camera I used dvgrab and kino years ago. After loading up what I
think is the latest Ubuntu, I see kino stopped being updated in early
2009! Arrrrg!!!

What, if anything, are people using to grab video from
a camera via FireWire (IEEE-1394)? I am looking at Openshot and some
others that are new to me. Importing it in and the transcoding it to
some usable format (AVI or WMV) is likely all I will do at this point.
Later, I will suggest capturing a webpage an voice annotating as they
drive through the screen.

In the "immediate" - recommendations for
grabbing the video??

Rich