[Novalug] Auto mounting a tar zip or other archive as a virtual file system

Michael Henry lug-user@drmikehenry.com
Sat Oct 5 06:11:07 EDT 2013

On 10/04/2013 03:33 PM, Don E. Groves, Jr. wrote:
> I found a way that I could 'cd mytar.tar.gz' ( .ios, .zip,
> .rpm  and others ) and treat things as if it was a Mounted
> read-only file system at that point.  ( ie copy files with 'cp
> -a *  /tmp/ )

I didn't know of the package, but on my Fedora 19 system, ``yum
search fuse`` led me to finding ``archivemount`` which appears
to be close to what you're looking for::

  yum install archivemount
  mkdir mount_point
  archivemount archive.tar.gz mount_point
  sudo umount mount_point

It doesn't seem to automatically perform a mount such that
you can ``cd`` into the package, though.

> There was also a way to configure the 'auto mounter' so that
> you could 'auto mount'  ftp sites, I remember I had a link to
> 'ftp.tux.org' setup that I'd copy/install rpm's through.
>     ( this was before I discovered 'ssh' and I'm sure way
>     before 'openssh' came out)

>From the above ``yum search fuse`` output, I see a couple of
possible candidates:

obexfs.x86_64 : FUSE based filesystem using ObexFTP
curlftpfs.x86_64 : CurlFtpFS is a filesystem for accessing FTP hosts
based on
                 : FUSE and libcurl

I didn't try either of these, not having easy access to an FTP
server.

Michael Henry