[Novalug] New Fedora Partitioner SUCKS

Maxwell Spangler maxlists@maxwellspangler.com
Fri Oct 4 22:41:53 EDT 2013

> On Thu, Oct 03, 2013 at 05:36:16PM -0400, James Ewing Cottrell III wrote:
> > Dear Fedora,
> >
> > I would like to "Thank" you for "Improving" the Partitioner.

I'm not a fan of the new Fedora installer, either.  However, I don't
complain too loudly for a few personal reasons:

* I didn't do anything to contribute to it in the past.  While I might
have expectations of how it should work that doesn't give me any right
to complain about what others provided me with FOR FREE.  You can earn
that right by contributing feedback and testing software while its under
development.

* The new Fedora installer is actually much better than the old one if
you don't require any "advanced" customization.  It's simple, friendly
and fast.  But like Gnome 3, it's also not what users are used to  so
there is opportunity for frustration on that alone.

* If you are an advanced user, you can switch to an alternate console
during the early part of installation, use parted to configure disks as
you like, then point the installer at them.  This isn't friendly, but,
be patient, the installer isn't done baking yet and that's the way free
software works.

I had to do this on my last install: I wanted a root disk with LUKS
encryption and LVM, but I also wanted the second and third disks to be
SW RAID 1, then LUKS, then LVM, then filesystems.  That's pretty
complicated and the new installer frustrated me.  (But when I rebooted
and it worked: GO Fedora!!)

What's going on with Fedora right now isn't any different from the last
twenty years of Linux.  There are times when you have to take a leap
forward and it gets rough.  The installer will get better and it will
get better faster if people provide constructive criticism and not
internet rants.

Cheers,

--
Maxwell Spangler
Linux System Administration / Virtualization / Development / Computing